Select Disabler

Friday, February 18, 2011

Prisoner's Dilemma Universe FAQ

Okay, I can't call it a FAQ because to qualify for the acronym, people had to have asked questions frequently, and they haven't yet. Still, I suppose a few people will have questions about the setting, so here are answers to questions I believe might occur to you.

The Location
1. Where is the universe set? Is it in America?
The Prisoner's Dilemma experiment was built at fictional Lockman University. It doesn't exist in any specific location and I'd like to keep it that way. If in one story it appears to be in England, and in another it's in New Zealand or Florida, I won't care, as long as its location isn't specifically named.

2. What is the name of the town nearby? What about other local cities and geography?
Lockman U is found near the little college town of Tilmont, population 15,000. The local geography is flexible. If you need a mountain, a desert, an ocean, a river, a lake, or a big city, feel free to invent one if it doesn't already exist. Internal geographical consistency isn't essential.

3. Can I write about some other location?
If you like, sure, but I don't suggest straying too far afield. This universe isn't about the larger global consequences of physics-defying supertech, it's about the people's lives affected by the experiment.

4. What are the fraternities and sororities at Lockman University?
I won't name them all, but the ones I've used include Delta Eta Rho, the fraternity of Jack Munn; Beta Rho Alpha and Phi Eta Omega, their neighbors; and Delta Sigma Tau, the sorority of Brandy Booth.

The Experiment
5. What are the parameters of Ripley's study and why is he doing it?
Ripley's version of the "prisoner's dilemma" is a psychological study to see whether people will cooperate when it's in their mutual best interest, or betray each other when there is hope for a personally favorable result. This means the reward must be something the subject presumably wants (being attractive to his preferred sex) and the punishment something he is inclined to avoid (being attractive to his non-preferred sex). It is also an investigation into gender roles and socialization and sexuality; Ripley's psych partners want statistics on how inclined the average person is to risk one for the other, and whether he will betray his friends (or even a stranger) to get that reward.  Another reason for the continued testing of Ripley's machine is to put the bio-reorganizer through its paces.  A large number of successful tests over a number of years is required to verify its efficacy.  Beyond that, I don't plan to get too specific on the length of the study or its results.

6. Are there other experiments being run by the department?
Sure, if you can think of a good reason for one.

7. Who can participate? Is it just students?
Anyone can participate if the reward is truly a reward and the punishment a punishment. This rules out people who are transgendered and want to be the other sex, people who are crippled and want to be healed regardless of which body they get, and people who are equally happy with any result. Those subjects would skew Ripley's results. They can still get switched; but they won't get paid to be part of the study.

8. How can Ripley afford to pay every subject?
His machine is an experimental prototype that is capable of rebuilding the body to repair many incurable conditions, such as paralysis, large burns, nerve damage, inoperable cancers, and other things. Many patients will pay to have this experimental procedure used on them as a last resort. It also naturally has use for transsexuals, or people who want enhancing plastic surgery.  Such patients elect to pay for the experimental procedure and, of course, they are given much more predictable outcomes.

9. Why isn't Ripley using this device to become a millionaire?
It's still experimental. Clinical trials require large numbers of test subjects over years of time, follow-up visits, exams for side effects, lawsuits, tests, and so on.

The Technology
10. How does the bioreorganizer work?
I don't really know or care.

11. Will you ever write a story explaining how it works? Can I?
I won't. The story universe is named for a psych experiment for a reason; it's about people, trust, choices, betrayal, fear, desires, and loyalty. If the story universe were about the technical aspects of the device I would have structured the story differently. For a start, the machine would have failed, and Ripley would have been shown to be a skilled technician and not acting as a meticulous psych test proctor. You can invent a justification for the technology if you simply must, but I won't officially sanction it.

12. What does the machine do if ...?
Whatever works for your story. I have permutations planned that include two people in one booth, one booth empty, mixed-gender subjects (one boy, one girl), and someone trying to go through a second time before his first change has worn off. The device is experimental, so what happens in my story needn't be what happens in yours.

The Characters
13. Who is Ripley? Can I use him in a story?
Ripley is the antithesis of the SRU Wizard. Rather than being a capricious and vindictive magician who plays with the lives of unwilling subjects, Ripley is orderly, consistent, meticulous, and fair. He doesn't work his magic for profit, but for research. Use him if you like but please leave him intact for other writers.

14. Who is Ripley's receptionist?
He has many, all students. They rotate every year, every quarter, maybe every day of the week. Invent one of your own, if you like.

15. Does Ripley have assistants or interns?
Sure, what the heck.

16. Can I use other characters from these stories in my own tales?
Please ask first. I may have plans for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment